top of page


By law, under the Gas Safety (Installation and Use) Regulations 1998, it's your responsibility to get a Gas Safety Certificate every twelve months, for each property you rent out. You must get this from a Gas Safe Registered engineer for all pipe work, gas appliances and flues installed at your property.

What you’ll get with a Gas Safety Certificate:

  • Your gas appliances will be checked for gas tightness.

  • If test points are available, standing and working pressure will be tested.

  • Your Gas Safe engineer will check burner pressure and gas rate against the manufacturers data plate.

  • Checks will be carried out for the provision of all necessary ventilation.

  • Flue flow will be tested to make sure products of combustion are removed.

  • All flame failure devices will be checked for satisfactory operation.

  • Where appropriate checks will be made for physical stability, presence and effectiveness of stability brackets.

  • Investigations for any evidence of unsafe operation will be made and reported.

Without completing all of the above checks an appliance can not be issued a Gas Safety Certificate. 

Installing a Carbon Monoxide (CO) alarm is a legal requirement where there is an open log or coal burning fire (whether or not the fire is actually in use); it is highly recommended wherever there is a gas appliance. It’s the best way to make sure your tenants are safe from dangers of Carbon Monoxide poisoning.

REMEMBER -  an alarm should never replace regular maintenance and safety checks.


Although there is no legal requirement to provide the buyer of your home with a Gas Safety Certificate, it may make the selling process much easier.
Many solicitors ask for a certificate as part of the Home Information Pack (HIP), which every house seller has to provide.
We can provide you with a Gas Safety Certificate - it usually takes about 45 minutes, and gives you and your buyer peace of mind.

bottom of page